Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Two women with a story to tell


This is a picture I found in a purse from an estate sale. It was tucked in a zippered pouch. I was attracted to the purse because of its age . It, like the picture seemed to have a story to tell.
The two women contrast greatly. The woman on the right looks so young and sweet, and maybe a little insecure.The woman on the left is much older with a stern expression.
Or could the expression be sheer exhaustion? Worn out and down by a long hard life.
It looks to me, from their clothes the photo was probably taken in the 1920's or 30's.
Back then life was hard in so many ways. Washing clothes on wash board and cooking three meals a day on a wood burning stove.
I see the pain in her eyes too. Maybe from living a life that turned out harder than she ever imagined.
The young one looks like she has so much hope in her pretty face. But she also has a hint of sadness about her. Maybe because she knows what life has in store for her.
But in my imagination, I see her having made it, and having had a happy ever after kind of life.
What do you think?

2 comments:

Sarah and Jack said...

I remember reading somewhere that there was a reason folks were told not to smile for photos way back when, but I can't remember what it was. Ring a bell? Maybe that is why the older woman isn't smiling!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Amy said...

I love old mystery photos.
Come to my blog and play "Fantasy Family". I make up stories and post them under that category.
I think the people in your photo are named Cora (the older) and Ida. They are estranged relatives that have just found one another again.
Amy

About Me

My photo
I love beauty, whether it is in nature, literature or art. And I love music... My day feels incomplete if I haven't had a chance to listen to some good music.. I also love beautiful souls, and kind hearts.

Followers

Copyright@ 2007- 2013 by Nita Barrow- Zimmerman
all rights reserved. Please do not use my original art, photos, or reprint my writing without asking me for permission. Thank You...

Pick out one person a day to encourage.


Please pray for the protection of Israel.
And for the Jewish people who live there. May God give them the strength they need to defeat their enemies.
“To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.”
—G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936); writer, critic
"There will come
a time
when you believe
everything is finished.
That will be the beginning."
Louis L'Amour
(1908-1988)

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next;
virtue is doing it."
David Star
(1851-1931)
exert from
The Philosophy of Despair
It is never too late to be who you might have been.
George Eliot
Friendship is a sheltering tree.
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
~Wishes are free~
So why not make one?
Psalm 138:7

Though I am surrounded by troubles, my God will preserve me against the anger of my enemies. He will clench His fist against my angry enemies! His Power will save me. The Lord will work out His plans for my life- for His faithful love endures forever.

Blog Archive

If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble.
Bob Hope

How to Build a Fairy House

How to Build a Fairy House


Minature Quilt

Janet Bolton

Janet Bolton
Quilt and Textile Artist

Miniature Quilt

Miniature Quilt

Miniature Quilt

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed