Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Beautiful Life...

She lived in the house down the road from me. It was a little white house with black shutters. Ivy grew along the bottom of her immaculate home and ran along the door frame.
Her house reminded me a fairy cottage from an old children's book. With the worn stepping stones that ran up to met her front door. And the little stone pots filled with colorful Zinnias, one on each side of the front porch.
She had bird feeders in the front yard that always seemed to be full of chirping birds.
I would pass by on Summer mornings and there she would be in her front yard trimming her bushes. After she finished the bushes she would rake her yard.
She wore an old straw hat while she did her lawn work that seemed to envelope her whole face. I would often see her lovingly tending her garden in the back yard as well. She had enormous Mammoth Russian Sunflowers and beautiful rows of tomatoes and okra. She had green beans running up little poles, and rows of cabbages that looked like they belonged in Beatrice Potter's garden.
Her garden was so pretty it could have been in a magazine.

I never stopped to talk to her but her life spoke volumes to me. The energy , care and love she put into her yard made me wonder about her life.
So often people let life run them into the ground or the grave. I have been there, and have felt like that lately, but I am fighting it.

I think this woman may have had a troubled heart too. But she choose to take her hurt and pain and turn into something productive and beautiful.
We have the power to do that. We can take our hurt and pain and make a beautiful Life. I am not going to lie, it is not going to be easy. We may have to claw, kick and scratch our may into making or creating something beautiful.

That something beautiful may be as simple as a wonderful breakfast you cook for your family or yourself. Or, it may be as simple as a kind word spoken to someone who needs to hear it.

You may get up some mornings and think, " I just want to go back to bed." Fight that feeling. You can make it.
Nothing in life that is worth anything comes easy. It is always the struggle in life that develops our character, and gives us the ability to sympathize and help others.

She died a few years ago at the age of 96. I was shocked to learn her age, because she appeared so much younger than her years. Upon learning her age I was even more inspired by her life.

A life that says I care can be seen by someone who never even knows you. You may be inspiring someone just by living the way you do.
I hope you all have a beautiful week end.

~Nita~

Tonight's songs, Boondocks by Little Big Town

When The thought of You Catches Up With Me by David Ball

I also love, Bring It On Home by Little Big Town

If you get a chance listen to them ...

18 comments:

pchickki said...

You inspire me Nita with the way you live your life and the strength you have through all the tough times.
God Bless You
xoxoxo
Patti

PixieDust said...

Just as you inspire us, Nita... it is hard at times, and sometimes you need to focus on what is good, and what we have, and not concentrate on the ugly... but it can be done... and you are just the woman to do it... strong, beautiful, and a tender soul...

(((HUGS))),
Love,
Me

Pam Aries said...

what a beautifully written and stirring post. It was so touching. It reminded me of my Grandmother. I also read your post from yesterday about the gossiping church ladies. How very sad that they gleefully clucked away about someone's life. I find most people that profess to be "Christian" are the worst !

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Patti: Thank you. Times have been tough lately, but I am trying to find the beauty in the pain.
xoxo Nita

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

pixie: i think the same thoughts about you my friend. you inspire me too. xoxo nita

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Pam: Thank you for your kind comments! I think it is neat that it reminds you of your Grandma.
The professed Christians can be the worst!
I am like minded with Madame Curie who said, " I truly honor someone with a genuine faith in God." I feel that way too. I have to see the love of Christ demonstrated before I believe they are a true follower.
xoxo Nita

Q said...

Dear Nita,
I am holding you and yours in my heart. Keep on keeping on.
Sherry

Tangled Stitch said...

What a lovely sentiment. It is beautiful! Thank you for inspiring me tonight!

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Sherry: Thank you, I hope you are doing well. I think of you often, and what is funny is that I was just thinking of you this evening. You and your beautiful Cardinals... love nita

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

tangled stich: i am happy that this inspired you. i hope you have a wonderful week end. xoxo nita

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Nita.

Kate

No one is you ...& that's your power said...

Hi Nita,
I love your blog and the way in which you write what is in your heart. I have put your blog on my blog list link. You have such a wise good heart and I am drawn to what you write and it has such meaning too. I feel you inspire me and can see you have a beautifull heart x Dominique

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Kate: Thank you. I hope you are doing well and enjoying your Summer. It feels weird saying that because it is Winter here. xoxo Nita

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Dominique, Thank you very much for such kind comments.
By the way Your name is lovely.
I hope you have a wonderful week end. xoxo Nita

TR Ryan said...

Nita -- What a heart-tugging post. What a simple but needy reminder. You stopped me in my tracks today. "Her life spoke volumes...she chose to take her hurt and pain and make a beautiful life".

There is also another message in this post that I see and I am so very guilty of. Sometimes our lives are so busy just trying to get through the day that we don't take the time to get to know our neighbors.

I wonder if she created all that beauty just to be noticed - with that hopes that something she did mattered.

Not only should we create beauty but we should praise it when it comes our way.

Thanks again for the beautiful reminder.

Robin said...

Hi nita, beautiful story! Yesterday I ran into a girl that went to the high school I worked at. She was very troubled back then. She had a baby a week before graduation. She was so lost....I always treated her with respect and hope. I discovered her yesterday working as a NURSE! Took her 6 years to do it but she made it! I told her how proud I was of her! Looking back....I hope I made a small difference to her when she was so troubled!

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

t.r.: Thank you. Your words mean alot to me. I am happy that my story touched you. I love the way you write. You have a gift. You truly do. I am happy that I have met you through blogging.
Sincerely, Nita

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Robin: I ma so proud of you for making a difference! You have a heart that is full of love. Love Nita

About Me

My photo
I love beauty, whether it is in nature, literature or art. And I love music... My day feels incomplete if I haven't had a chance to listen to some good music.. I also love beautiful souls, and kind hearts.

Followers

Copyright@ 2007- 2013 by Nita Barrow- Zimmerman
all rights reserved. Please do not use my original art, photos, or reprint my writing without asking me for permission. Thank You...

Pick out one person a day to encourage.


Please pray for the protection of Israel.
And for the Jewish people who live there. May God give them the strength they need to defeat their enemies.
“To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.”
—G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936); writer, critic
"There will come
a time
when you believe
everything is finished.
That will be the beginning."
Louis L'Amour
(1908-1988)

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next;
virtue is doing it."
David Star
(1851-1931)
exert from
The Philosophy of Despair
It is never too late to be who you might have been.
George Eliot
Friendship is a sheltering tree.
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
~Wishes are free~
So why not make one?
Psalm 138:7

Though I am surrounded by troubles, my God will preserve me against the anger of my enemies. He will clench His fist against my angry enemies! His Power will save me. The Lord will work out His plans for my life- for His faithful love endures forever.

Blog Archive

If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble.
Bob Hope

How to Build a Fairy House

How to Build a Fairy House


Minature Quilt

Janet Bolton

Janet Bolton
Quilt and Textile Artist

Miniature Quilt

Miniature Quilt

Miniature Quilt

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed